Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Old Door Headboard

I found this great old door (1930s I think) at my favorite local Junktique store, Sweet 16 Antiques and Collectibles.
Next, my grandfather cut the door on both sides and secured the legs (2x8 boards). The total height is 52" and the width is 72".
After 2 coats of Zinsser Primer I didn't know exactly what to do about painting the "legs" (color wise). So, I tried 3 colors I had that I thought might work...One matched almost perfectly (total luck) and once the legs and door were glazed you can barely tell that the color isn't the same. I finished it off with 2 coats of Rub-On Poly.
>Next, I replaced the original door knob with this beautiful antique glass one that I had to have 6 months ago (knowing I would use it eventually). This part was not easy... My dad (a welder) had to break down the original knob so I could use the plate. Then I glued the plate and knob (bolted together) in place. Not easy but totally worth it.
Did I mention that I had an audience? :)
;) Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips